Emily

Emily
Emily in her TEAM EMILY shirt for the Diabetes Walk

Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Little Engine That Could...

Sometimes this is what I feel like...lol! Just constantly going uphill, move back down a little, and then just keep chugging upward. Eventually, I know we will get to the top, but it sure is tiring. Emily is continuing (at her own pace) to progress. She's had another sinus infection this week (the second in the last two months), so we didn't have speech therapy yesterday. The last week, however, she did good. She continued to use her signs and is starting to make some new sounds. She did something big tonight, though, which is the big reason I am writing this blog. She ate all of her mashed potatoes with a spoon! Yey! This is such a big step for her. She has always just been contented to use her hands, and when Emily is content doing something, it is sooo hard to get her to do something different. I loved it! She just amazes me all the time. I love her so much, and sometimes, I have days that I just curl up on the couch or in the bed when I get free time, and I just cry because that's all I know to do. Some days, everything just hurts. But, I always think about how close we came to losing her and I thank God for letting us keep her, and I know that I would take the hurt over and over and over again to keep her here with me where I can see that sweet smile every day.

We're hoping to start a feeding class that her Speech Therapist recommended sometime soon. It's supposed to deal with some sensory issues, and she has developed some pretty severe ones, which is why it's a big deal that she ate with a spoon tonight. I'm pretty excited about it. It's a 12 week program that deals with eating, drinking, etc.

I am also fixing to start fundraising for TEAM EMILY for the Diabetes Walk in May. It's going to be closer to us this go around than it was back in November. I'm super excited about it. I'm hoping for a bigger team and more money to give the Diabetes Foundation of MS. It's a lot of work, but it's fun and so worth it when I think about possibly having a cure for Type 1 Diabetes someday...oh what a day that would be! :)

Hope everyone has a great weekend! Enjoy the snow if you are getting any! We might be...I'm ready for Spring myself :)

No comments:

Post a Comment