Emily

Emily
Emily in her TEAM EMILY shirt for the Diabetes Walk

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Round and round we go!...

These last few weeks have been such a whirlwind! It seems like there is always something that needs to be done! This week alone, Emily had two doctor visits. One was in Memphis, a couple of hours away, and the other was supposed to be yesterday, but got cancelled...a whole other story. The visit in Memphis was her Cardiologist. Everything was fine, thank goodness. He could still hear the heart murmer, but he said that it still wasn't big enough to cause any real problems. We don't have to go back to visit him for 2 years! Yay!! The visit that was supposed to be yesterday was with the Orthopedic doctor that I mentioned in my last post. It got cancelled yesterday moring due to the doctor having a medical emergency with his Father. Thankfully, they are going to reschedule another clinic day in Tupelo, and we still will not have to drive to Louisiana. I was really hoping to get that doctor visit over with now because I really think she needs to see this particular doctor and because her Medicaid doctor visits will be all taken up by the time we get to reschedule. I can deal with this pretty easily (with a little bit of arguing a little with the insurance people) in our area, but I am quite worried about not having any visits coming into this one because the doctor is from Louisiana. We have to deal with running out of doctor visits EVERY YEAR because she has to see so many doctors and there's just not enough visits to cover everything. I tried to be as proactive as I could this year by trying to get in the required paperwork from each doctor that she sees to get more visits, but I wasn't planning on seeing a new doctor. So, now, I have to worry about that and what I need to do about it. I guess I probably just need to get on the phone and call somebody to see what I need to do. I just get so tired of doing this stuff sometimes...I think this is where most of my stress comes from. It's not just from the Diabetes or the Downs Syndrome...it's having to deal with all the doctors and therapists and Medicaid and pharmacies!!
So, on to another issue...the Walk for Diabetes. This is always a pretty stressful time trying to get everything together, get all my fundraisers together, and find walkers. Well, this year it has just been a battle from the beginning. For one, my top fundraiser from last year that raised over a thousand dollars just decided that she didn't want to help this time. Just because she didn't want to! It wouldn't be so bad, but she promised me that she would help, so I was depending on that. On top of having to do pretty much all of the fundraising by myself, I am having to figure out how to actually do fundraisers. Last year we did all of them at our church, but we have another big church fundraiser going on now, so the walk fundraisers are pretty much having to be done outside. This means I have to get people to volunteer to help man the tables for the bake sales that we are having and get people to bake stuff and get it to me before the bake sale. I know this doesn't seem to be such a big deal, however, I am also having to deal with the added pressure that I am actually helping the Diabetes Foundation of Mississippi promote this particular walk. They were so impressed with us when we went in November that they wanted me to help, and I was sooo happy to do this because this is my passion now. However, I feel like I need to raise a lot of money and bring a lot of people to the walk because if I am promoting it, then I should show up with as much money and as many people as possible. Am I rambling? I think I am just because I need to get all this stuff off my chest. It's just been a stressful few weeks. I'm hoping things are getting close to slowing down a little. We're getting closer to May 11 when Emily will hopefully be going on an insulin pump, and I am so ready for that. Life, I believe, will be a little closer to normal with her using that, and man could we use a little normalcy.
I hope everyone has a great weekend! I have a friend of mine and her little boy coming over to visit tomorrow (kind of like a playdate). I'm sure Brooklyn will love having a kid her age to play with around the house. Other than that, it will just be a normal weekend. Hopefully getting some rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment